Wednesday 14 August 2013

The Mailbag Part 3: we're drawing nearer...

Good morning readers!

It's 15 days to go now until I make the journey to France now - utterly terrifying but exciting.
It occurred to a family member the other day that I spend so much time thinking about all the practical things, what to do next and so on.... They worry I might forget to consider the mental impact it's going to have, the emotions and the psychology if it all.
It's something I look forward to writing about and I will publish some early thoughts over the next day or two (might need to find a leather wingback chair and crack open a bottle of port to consider it...)

Anyway, onto the Mailbag!

• A few people haven't received any confirmation emails for their options. Seems to predominantly affecting those going to Stendhal from what I'm reading. What I would do in that situation is get someone on the phone from the institution - it appears there are a few people getting emails back with auto responders saying staff are off.

• What time can we move in? Well, according to a response from accommodation services to Marie-Laure Tapp, blocks are open 24/7. However - certainly in the case of Ouest - it would be easier to check in before 5pm. It's worth checking to see.

• Phone contracts - several people based in mainland Europe are considering getting mobile phone contracts and are trying to find the best deal. The aptly-named Free! network seems to be one of the most talked-about on the forums and groups, with a relatively inexpensive range of options. I've also heard Sosh being mentioned, as has Virgin Mobil. 
Frankly, some of the rates put UK companies to shame. Companies here seem to be so concerned with profits that they hike up the prices to extortionate levels. You are quite literally able to get a better deal in France and pay a third of the price.

• Travel to Grenoble. It would appear that several people are flying to the area's biggest airport at Geneva and need to get public transport to Grenoble. Having read some comments, the shuttle bus is very expensive and the top option is the train. I had a quick look and you can reserve a seat for the two hour trip for under €30.

• And finally... For those interested in outdoor sports, I reckon you should get on Outdoor Sports Grenoble International on Facebook. A group for those into hiking, mountaineering, canyon-running, it's certain one of the big and upcoming groups for Grenoble students. Julian Krooß has set it up and is promoting the trial runners: 168km endurance runners that make Iron Man look like a Sunday stroll. You'd have to be insane, but I think it's utterly engrossing to follow. I saw a trial run in the Pyrenees a few years ago and I was lucky enough to meet a trial runner in Norway a year later. Be sure to give the page a look.


Well that's all from me today, I'll be posting some more Q&A soon, as well as other cool features. Don't forget to share and send me questions!

Mike :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking an interest, feel free to drop us a comment or question :)