Tuesday 13 August 2013

Les Centaures de Grenoble - Football Américain

While I'm away as an Erasmus student, I'm sure I'll get many life-changing opportunities. One of the great things about being a student is that you can many great different things before you get into the grind of a job.

One thing I've been doing at university in England is playing American Football, the greatest team sport of them all.

The drama, the tactics, the sheer levels of toughness and fitness needed to play such an aggressive game has always been a major attraction for me since I watched my first game back in 2007, that legendary Fiesta Bowl between Boise State University and University of Oklahoma. 
The hits are ferocious, hitting four times harder than rugby. The speed is intense - half a step too early or too late and you don't quite make it, in the words of Al Pacino. It also allows me to use my head to win - 5ft10 and 12st is about as small as we come, so thinking and reacting forms my game.

At the time I was playing rugby - the contact/collision aspect translates pretty well. Being perhaps un-resourceful I didn't spot the opportunity until I got to university and I took up the sport for the University of Lincoln Colonials. In my second year I would become the team's president (and if our two qualified coaches hadn't walked out in December, I'm sure we would have finished the season too.)

Going away has meant taking a step away from the team, though it doesn't mean I can't play... A transfer form and a €100 fee can send me anywhere in Europe (the advantages of keeping it amateur or semi-pro at worst.)
Going to Grenoble has given me a rare opportunity to play with a fantastic team, Les Centaures de Grenoble.

I've been in contact with several members of the management and coaching staff to facilitate my move and they appear very welcoming. I've been given my defensive playbook to get me started - it's a beast of a thing that sits 120 pages long and all in French.

I've always had a dream, since I started playing. That was one day I could represent my country in the game. I think Grenoble will give me a big boost in getting there.

I cannot wait to get onto the field.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking an interest, feel free to drop us a comment or question :)